Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Wrapping Things Up

I gave my presentation on Thursday, which was several days ago, but I thought it might be important to get a few last words in.
I was really nervous about playing the solo that I'd written out, and it did not go according to plan because I messed up about half of it. I can't include the link to it, so I took some (very poor) photographs of my computer screen. It is two separate photographs, but it's continuous, so it can be read in order.




In addition, I also forgot to say some really important things like, What did I learn? and Will I continue this in the future?
First of all, yes. Second, I gained a lot of respect, even more than I originally had, for jazz musicians. They have a lot of talent and skill and creativity that I happen to find very impressive. I also learned how difficult it is to achieve that. Improvising is not something you can become very good at in a matter of weeks or even months. It takes a lot of dedicated practice in which you are practicing for the sole purpose of getting better. Third, I will definitely continue practicing improvising, especially because I'm in jazz band, and I feel like one cannot be a good jazz musician until one has a solid grasp on improvising.
I hope very much that we will Google it up next semester, because this was a very good experience for me, and also for my classmates.

No comments:

Post a Comment