Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Google Day 2 - Scale Drawings

I have been horribly busy these last few weeks, and I have not been able to practice jazz improvisation except for a C blues progression in jazz band sometime last week. However, wind ensemble class period was a Google project day, and I managed to get a fair amount of work in. I wrote up grids of all the scales I know. For example, I have developing knowledge of major scales, but to re-teach myself minor scales, I drew tables on the computer and filled them in myself by hand. I wrote grids for minor scales, major 7 chords, minor 7 chords, and 7 scales. I took some pretty weak photographs of them, but I have them on this blog post anyway.







Things I learned today:
  • There's no such thing as a Major 7 scale. It's just a Major scale.
  • There's no such thing as a Minor 7 scale. It's just a Minor scale.
  • Reinforcement of Minor Scales. Major scale + 3 flats = Minor scale. For example: C# Major  C# D# E# F# G# A# B# C# + 3 flats (In order of flats, B, E, A) = C# D# E F# G# A B C#
  • Reinforcement of Circle of Fifths
  • Db Minor has a double Bb. Bbb is A.
  • If I really want to become good at jazz, I have to actually practice- not just practicing a bit of improvisation here and there, but performance as well. What is jazz if there is no one to listen to it?

1 comment: