Monday, November 14, 2011

Google Day 14 November

I forgot to blog last Google day about two whole weeks ago, and so I need to mention it within this post, because there was also a Google work day today in class as well.
Last work day, I practiced outside once more. I worked on scales and then moved onto improvising. It did not go too bad; my mouth got tired rather quickly, but I managed to get some good practicing in before that. The melody notion that I am working toward was a little bit better. If I haven't explained it already, the melody notion is a melody, maybe a jazz melody, that you play around with to make it interesting, but you can still hear fragments, like certain rhythms or notes, in it. While doing my best to improvise, I came a little bit closer to playing with the melody, but it was mostly just little fragments of half the notes I played. I mean to say, some of the runs or licks or rhythms or ideas that I played sounded like the melody, but it was not a cohesive melody.
Today's work day was not as successful, but I still got some good ideas worked up. I warmed up for a while, but for some reason I could not play. Everything sounded wrong to my ears and I had no ideas for improvising. So I decided to practice my scales, which I am getting more adept at, and worked on the some of the music for Jazz Band.
I also decided to add a new component to this experience: I was once told that writing out your own solos is a good way to get better at them, and I figure this true. I can hear cool patterns and runs in my head, but I just can't play them. So I copied off some blank sheet music and intend to write out a solo. This is probably what I will present for the finish of this Google Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment